SquareJaw Bearing Trucks

Design of moving parts, and method of locomotion.
beermkr

SquareJaw Bearing Trucks

Postby beermkr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I have developed a method to make a bearing truck that in my opinion is stronger, more rigid, and cheaper than a v Groove bearing set up. It is designed to run on a 1 x 1 x 0.125 aluminum U channel but can be easily modified to run on just about any square surface. With some spacers and a longer cross bolt it could run on Uni Strut.

What follows is the process to build one truck.

IMAG0167.jpg
Templates. Printed on 8.5 x 14 paper. Print two copies to build all of the trucks for a SquareJaw machine

IMAG0168.jpg
Repositionable Adhesive

IMAG0169.jpg
Spray adhesive on the back of a template and let it air dry for a minute or so. Line up the center section with a piece of 3/4 inch square tubing.

IMAG0170.jpg
Continue to wrap the template around the tubing until it is fully adhered.

IMAG0171.jpg
Cut to length using a hack saw or a chop saw. The exact length is NOT critical as the dimensions and spacing for the bolts and bearings are laid out on the template.

IMAG0172.jpg
Center punch at all the crosses on the template.

IMAG0174.jpg
Pre-drill all holes (use a larger bit than this as I broke this one 2 minutes after shooting this picture. Drill out all tapped hols with a 17/64's bit and the through drilled holes to 5/16"

IMAG0175.jpg
Tap all holes to 5/1-18. I cheat and use a tap chucked in a drill to make short work of it.

IMAG0177.jpg
All parts for the truck.

IMAG0178.jpg
The side bearings consist of a 5/16-18 x 3/4 bolt, two bearings and a 1/4 washer.

IMAG0180.jpg
Place a 5/16-18 x 2 bolt through the trhough drilled holes and arrange washer, bearing, washer, bearing, washer, bearing, washer.

IMAG0181.jpg
Finished truck. This took me about 10 minutes to build. Ignore the extra hole as that is where I had to back drill after breaking my cobalt bit off in the hole.

Below are the template files and a parts list for the entire machine so far along with sources and costs.
Attachments
SquareJaw Parts and Sources.pdf
(119.24 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
Truck Templates.pdf
(54.07 KiB) Downloaded 587 times
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, The River Company Brewery, Radford, VA

Return to “Motion Drive Design”