Table

Design of structural and load bearing framework.
beermkr

Table

Postby beermkr » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:04 am

So I was in Lowes/HomeDepot today and found myself staring at the doors on the shelf.

They are cheap and incredibly stiff due to the honeycomb construction. Just a thought... what do you guys think?

R/
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, The River Company Brewery, Radford, VA

beermkr

Re: Table

Postby beermkr » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Well,

No responses so i built my table today:

IMG00309.jpg

3/4 MDF for the top. 1 Inch ribs dadod together and heavily glued and brad nailed. The bottom skin is a piece of 1/8 tempered hardboard. The rails slide over the edges and add a lot of stiffness. I prestressed it a little so it crowns just a little in the middle.

R/
Mike Pensinger

larry104

Postby larry104 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:00 am

Very nice - I think that's the best way to go.

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:49 am

Good job!

Somehow I missed this post earlier. You were looking at the doors to possibly use as a table?

beermkr

Postby beermkr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Yep. They are cheap, and strong and a specific size.
Mike Pensinger

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Sorry I misssed this post too. When I was first building my 4 X 8 Blacktoe, one of the first 4 X 8 that Patrick sold I spent months nagging him to release the machine and whilst I was waiting I read EVERY SINGLE PAGE on his website! At that time he recommended using a torsion box. I researched this EXTENSIVELY and eventualy sent Patrick some links which he added to his site; they can been see on this page:

http://buildyourcnc.com/blackToe2x4v40.aspx

I built my Torsion box 120" X 52" using about 5 sheets of 10' X 5' MDF. To say that it is rock solid is something of an understatement. It consists of many many 6" cells. I do not believe that a door of any construction that I have every seen would equal the quality of torsion box that could be built with only one days work, if you have a chop saw, circular hand saw, glue, and a nail gun.
Last edited by Keith on Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

beermkr

Postby beermkr » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:47 pm

I don't dispute the strength of a built up torsion box. What I was trying to do was provide a readily available standard sized table at a VERY reasonable cost.

I just got my new table finished and to say I am happy would be an understatement. It is really strong and amazingly light weight.

IMG00310.jpg

I also played around with my square tube bearing design and discovered that it will ride perfectly on UniStrut.... Opens up a whole new world of possibilities but not really the cheapest ones!

R/
Mike Pensinger

Return to “Structural Design”