Pledge to cut the pieces for one other person

Design of structural and load bearing framework.
Keith

Pledge to cut the pieces for one other person

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:00 pm

I have seen the discussion on the forum about what tools we are going to use to create this machine I would like to make a suggestion. Many members of this forum already have a working CNC machine capable of cutting ALL the MDF/MDO/BIRCH PLY etc parts of the new machine so why don't we all help a newbie to the "wonderful world of CNCing" by cutting the MDF/MDO/BIRCH PLY etc parts for them? I am not talking about making a profit out of just materials and shipping.

Obviously this would need to be sorted out by the relevanet parties involved.

Then like the RepRap project every new machine owner has to cut one for the next member etc etc etc.

One of the best things about having this machine is watching it work so cutting a machine or 2 for people in the UK would be fine for me. Also this would help people getting into the hobby because the would "know" that the parts they were using would be "Spot on" because we would all be cutting from the same DXF files. Yes there would be small adjustment for people who have to purchase their materials in metric but the would not be a problem.

Being one of only a few people in the UK, "that I am aware of", I would need to cut more then 1 machine to get the ball rolling and I am ok with that.

Comments?

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Re: Pledge to cut the pieces for one other person

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Great idea! I'd gladly cut at least one, probably more, for someone. I've already cut several [other] machines for people in my area.

Count me in!

beermkr

Postby beermkr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 pm

I think that this is a great thing to do but would suggest that we still make as many pieces as possible able to be cut on a tablesaw or with a circular saw so we can save the difficult pieces for cnc. Examples would be bearing blocks (need a big bit), parts with adjustment slots in them (see my new machine build on buildyourcnc.com), etc.
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, The River Company Brewery, Radford, VA

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:15 pm

We should be able to come up with a design that can be made by hand, and also made with a CNC. Being able to cut the parts out to replicate the machine is one of the key tenets of the project.

servant74

Postby servant74 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:52 am

I like the 'pay it forward' idea.

JiB

Postby JiB » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Maybe such a pledge could be worked into the licence of the design? "If you build from this plan/kit, you should make at least two millable parts kits and make them available to other would-be builders, as well as making your plans + modifications available to the world+dog."
As I work in a fablab, you can use our 4'x8' router to cut out your own design. If you want to make it for free, we require you to publish your design,, so other people can build it too/upon it.

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:51 am

I agree that something like this would make a nice addition.

Return to “Structural Design”