Is cost, ease of build, routable area, etc. most important?

Design of structural and load bearing framework.

Which objective is most important?

Is as inexpensive as possible to construct.
21%
Can be constructed using only common woodworking power tools, such as a circular saw / table saw, and drill / drill press.
21%
Will minimize or eliminate the need for obscure, uncommon tools or bits, that likely must be purchased simply to complete the build.
No votes
Has finite dimensions, allowing the machine's structural components to be cut ahead of time or offsite, and packaged as a "kit".
No votes
Has the capability to cut most, or all, of the pieces needed to duplicate the machine ("Self-Replication").
14%
Has clear, and concise documentation, allowing novices to successfully construct it with ease.
29%
Includes information about quality low-cost sources for parts and materials, as well as an accurate estimate for the cost to build it.
7%
Is supported by the community, who can provide experience, wisdom, and advice for new DIY CNC'ers.
7%

Total votes: 14

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Re: Is cost, ease of build, routable area, etc. most importa

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:40 pm

JiB

Postby JiB » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:47 pm

For me, cost is important. But my time has a price too. I have spent some time designing a drivenut for acme threads that can be cut from 6mm delrin with a lasercutter (could be cut with a cnc router too). While it is nice to push back the costs for myself to say 50 cent a piece, my initial gain was only ~14 euro. That is one example where one should weigh the payoff against the costs, including the time spent.
As for bearings: do you really need them? The mantis design (what I am most familiar with) does just fine with bronze bushings. If you have (or can make) a surface that is smooth enough, then sliding should be preferred over rolling imho.

rekoburners

Postby rekoburners » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Why is the word accuracy of cut (or motion) ever used? I do not see the point of building a low cost machine if what it produces is scrap!

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:09 am

rekoburners

Postby rekoburners » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:11 pm

I take in coments and I do like the statement that even a poor machine is by far more accurate than cutting by hand.
So moving away from the above post are we ever going to get a desine-size what ever or will the discusion go on till after 2020. I have no experiance of a cnc machine only what I have read in the book! and came to this site with expectations of gidance, Can't are leader not take control and say this is the spec lets start building

Return to “Structural Design”