Suggested tools

The design of other, logistical features, such as documentation, parts lists, supply sources, and instructions.
beermkr

Suggested tools

Postby beermkr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm

I know we want to keep the tool list as short as possible but in the interest of making the best possible machine I would like to start a discussion on tools that are HIGHLY recommended. Costs and future use should be taken into consideration.

I have two specialized tools that I think need to be on the list.

1. Incra Precision T ruler. Available for around $30 and quite frankly I wish I had had one when I built my book machine.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200044 ... ule-6.aspx

2. Doweling jig. Available at Home Depot for $30 also. Makes short work of drilling the holes in the sides of the parts and STOPS cracking from drilling too quickly. I have used a couple of these and this particular one is the best i have used. Some of the cheaper ones work just fine and I think the Harbor Freight one is probably fine also.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... key=Search

Both will be a continued use item in my shop so I do not have an issue spending the money on them.
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, The River Company Brewery, Radford, VA

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Re: Suggested tools

Postby Awesomeness » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:03 pm

My personal rule is to buy the best quality tools I can afford. However, when I reasonably think I'll only need a tool once, for a particular one-off project, I buy a cheap one and consider it "disposable".

I bought the Harbor Freight Doweling Jig for $13: http://www.harborfreight.com/self-cente ... 41345.html
You can often find it on sale, or get coupons from magazines or fliers, and get it far cheaper. It's not as accurate or high quality as the one you posted, but with a little adjusting it does the job sufficiently.

If you don't own a drill press, the next best thing is a Portalign. Unfortunately, the real Portalign went out of business decades ago. I managed to pick a modern one up at Sears, for like $30 not long ago. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G1
Portalign1.jpg

CraftsmanDrillGuide.jpeg

beermkr

Postby beermkr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:06 pm

On the drill press subject you can often pick up the 5 speed bench top unit from HF for $39.99 on sale.
Mike Pensinger
Chief Brewer, The River Company Brewery, Radford, VA

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:07 pm

I think that a list of "recommend/I wish I had/Iwant one of those/Iuse one of those" tools is a great idea however can we all be sure to post details of where they can be bought? Also can we all take note that some of us are not in the USA and therefore often have trouble ordering/purchasing items form the USA? I have been very frustrated by the fact that I have found it very difficult to locate things in the UK which I know are readily available to Canada & USA. I will be happy to list ALL my suppliers here in the UK for anyone who wants the info.

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:51 pm

All great suggestions.

Since I do live in the USA, I have no idea what the problems you face with availability are. I will do my best to list sources/links for anything I talk about. Please provide your insight on availability, especially if something is particularly difficult to get. It would be great to use only those items available to everyone, where possible. :)

Keith

Postby Keith » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:38 am

I do believe that EVERYTHING available in the USA is ultimately available here in the UK however it is just so hard to find. Are we going to list every thing under this topic heading? Or....

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:43 am

This particular thread was just some ideas about good tools to have.

I'd like to have the ultimate design have a very specific list of all the parts and tools needed to build it. For example, a list of every drill bit size used during the build. I'd also like to provide a list of sources, with several available for each item, and maybe even from different countries (with input from the people that live in those countries). The idea would be to make the whole thing as painless as possible for a new builder.

servant74

Suggested tools

Postby servant74 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:45 am

As we come up with a list of tools, it would be nice to have a spreadsheet or something similar that one person updates that would show the item, and sources for various countries. US, Canada, UK, and any other countries people would like to supply sourcing information.

Possibly a similar list for 'build parts'. Like good bolt, nuts, washers, cross dowels, V-groove bearings, skate bearings, aluminum angle, rack and pinion, stepper motors, stepper motor drivers, break out boards (BOB), wire cables for stepper motors, software suppliers (Artisoft, Linuxcnc.org, cambam.co.uk, etc)

Awesomeness

Postby Awesomeness » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm

We could probably make some lists in Google Docs spreadsheets. They are editable and viewable by multiple people, can be saved to PDFs and Excel spreadsheets. I think they can even be embedded directly into webpages, but I'd have to check on that.

JiB

Postby JiB » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:11 am

On the topic of availability of harware/tools if you are not in the USA: I think an even bigger problem will come with some people insisting on using medieval units of measurement. That will also translate to speccing imperial sized nuts and bolts, which is at least awkward in the rest of the world.

Return to “Logistic Design”