Roadmap

Post questions or issues with the use or operation of HighTechDIY.com, these forums, or affiliated sites here.
dinki

Roadmap

Postby dinki » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 pm

I've been checking in on this project since it began a few months ago. At the start, there was a flurry of activity and input. Now it seems the forums have been overrun by spam bots and the actual human posts are close to nonexistent. This is quite sad.

Would it be possible to set up some sort of project roadmap and perhaps a timeline on trying to get certain portions done? I know that many/most that visit these forums have lots of other things going on in their lives. This may be part of what seems to have pushed things to the we-can-work-on-this-later pile. Having a roadmap may be able to better focus efforts and get an initial design out quicker.

Perhaps I am mistaken and things are happening behind the scenes. It would be a shame to let such a good project to be left on the wayside.

Just my two cents.

Oh, BTW, perhaps adding a Captcha for posting for users with under 20 or so posts would cut down on the spam postings.

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Re: Roadmap

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:59 am

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out what to do about the spam bots (and even why they curiously targeted this site so much). For now I've made it so that I have to approve new accounts, and I get like 20 new account requests a day that all seem to be from spam bots. Who knows.

This definitely has turned to a simmer, a little bit. I know I've gotten crazy busy lately, probably all the stuff people were putting off around the holidays coming back full force.

I think I'd like to see a working design by mid summer. That means that pretty soon something will need to start taking shape. We have a table size at least, and some variant of Beermkr's bearing design to work with. I'll have to check in with him and see if it's working well on his current machine.

dinki

Postby dinki » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Great news. Good luck fighting those bots.

Keith

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

"Damn those Dirty 'Bots!" ;)

Awesomeness
Own CNC?: Yes

Postby Awesomeness » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Some of them aren't even bots, I think. They manage not only to read the Captcha image, but also answer "human" questions like "What is two plus two?". They also use a real email address, since they have to click a link from it to activate the account.

I wonder if there isn't actually a person involved at some point in the procedure.

Return to “Website & Forums Support”